Do you travel with the one you love? If your love affair has so far mostly been a stationary one, perhaps it’s time you took a journey as a couple. Traveling with your partner in love and life is incredibly rewarding. Although it might seem fairly obvious for married couples or those in long term relationships to travel together, there are far more reasons to jet off side-by-side than simply because it is convenient.
Solo travel is certainly awesome, and even if you are currently attached, traveling on your own is a great experience. But on those moments when you’re seeking an adventure with that special someone, couples travel is where it’s at. And once you’ve done it, you will be hooked. From a weekend getaway to romantic nights in Paris. With some serious and some silly, here are 25 reasons to travel with your lovah’.
1. Your first sight of an epic vista is most memorable with the one you love by your side.
Sigh. Romance on the road. It’s pretty darn sweet. Sharing that moment is priceless.
2. During long airport layovers, you’ve got a lap you can rest your weary head in.
No pillow? Thank god your partner’s got a squishy lap.
3. Someone can sit with your stuff while you hit up the airport restroom.
This is such a #blessing, y’all! Nothing is more frustrating than trying to drag the entirety of your carry-on AND your personal item into that tiny stall whose door opens inward.
4. Traveling is the ultimate test of a relationship.
For better and for worse, if you can travel together, particularly in challenging situations, you can likely handle anything. Travel can put your love through the ringer, but you will emerge stronger than ever before.
5. Physical safety.
Solo travel is not dangerous. What’s dangerous is making poor, uninformed choices and not taking proper precautions in unsafe situations. This can happen whether you’re alone or with another person. But traveling as a couple certainly gives you the physical aid of safety in numbers, and gives you the benefit of two people keeping a lookout for danger.
6. Road trips are much cooler when you can jam out to 90s throwback tunes with the one you love.
Rocking out solo to “Return of the Mack” is nerdy. Rocking out with someone you love: now you are hip.
7. Bus bingo is so much more hilarious with two people.
You haven’t lived til you’ve won a game of bus bingo.
8. Can’t decide what to order for dinner? Try twice the local cuisine.
Split two dishes or just sneak some of your partner’s food when they aren’t looking.
9. Housesitting becomes more than just awesome free accommodation, it turns into “playing house!”
Housesitting is our favorite option for longer term living on the road. Nothing beats staying in great places and caring for adorable pets.
10. You can hold their hand when the flight gets turbulent.
I’m not a terribly nervous flyer, but when the skies get rough, I need a hand to death grip squeeze.
11. There are many ways to save money when traveling as a couple.
While some expenses are slightly higher (2x the airline tickets, for instance), you end up saving money in other areas by sharing the cost of hotels and groceries.
12. You’ll always have someone who remembers your travel inside jokes.
Remember that time….? It’s nice having a travel companion you can recount tales of your misadventures with.
13. Someone’s always got your back if you get a little too excited sampling the local beers & spirits.
Your darling can escort you back to your hotel room in a way that salvages your dignity. It’s always good to have a buddy watching out for you. PS: Getting married gives you that buddy for LIFE.
14. Traveling as a couple is a perfect excuse for room service.
Time to splurge on a lavish meal in bed.
15. Pretend it’s your honeymoon over and over and over to try to get free upgrades. And after the honeymoon, there are still a million trips to take as a couple.
16. Couples who travel together have improved communication skills.
Navigating your way around the world, managing challenges, and making tough decisions…all of this is great for building communication and connection in a relationship—and making your love stronger than ever.
17. You have a free language practice partner.
Trying to learn a foreign language? It’s easy to get lazy on your own, but if two of you do it together, it’s added motivation to practice. Either way, check out the free Duolingo app for a great way to improve your language skills in a few minutes a day.
18. There’s always someone to chat to on a plane, waiting in line, or in a crowded room of strangers.
Solo travel is a good way to meet new people, but if you’re more introverted or just not in the mood to branch out, traveling as a couple gives you an automatic friend.
19. “You travel faster alone, but farther together.”
Traveling as a couple will grow your relationship in unimaginable ways.
20. You don’t always have to make all of the decisions.
Tacos or pizza? Let him or her decide where you’re eating tonight. Sometimes, you don’t want all that pressure!
21. Better sex. Yes, it’s true.
Studies show that couples who travel together are more adventurous and satisfied in the sheets as well.
22. When things go wrong, they’re there to commiserate with you…or make you laugh.
Canceled flight or lost luggage? Laugh and cry about it together.
23. Your partner is the best one to watch a sunset with.
Because sunsets are one of the earth’s most romantic gifts.
24. You can ‘Netflix & chill’ around the world.
Don’t feel ashamed if you’re in Italy and you still want to catch up on Orange is the New Black…. We totally understand.
25. Because travel is love!
Got any other reasons we forgot? Share in the comments!
Wedding photos credit to Stephanie Smith.