Dating can be difficult. The internet is the wild, wild west, and it seems anything goes. For better or for worse, online dating is here to stay. Don’t fret, though. The internet opens up a world of romantic opportunity if you are patient and step up to the challenge with the right attitude. Social media and dating sites present a wide realm of potential connections. You are no longer limited to the prospects in and around your hometown. Here are a few tips for navigating this crazy online dating universe.
Online Dating Tips
Always be authentic. You don’t want to show up to a date surprised that you aren’t meeting the person your date’s profile promised. Don’t give them the same experience. Post up-to-date photos of yourself. Avoid overselling or underselling yourself. Be honest. Maybe that means you go on fewer dates, but hopefully, it means you go on better dates. Quality trump quantity.
Make your profile stand out by being specific. You aren’t trying to attract every person that reads your profile but the right person. That perfect someone might pass you by if your unique self gets lost in a sea general profiles. Don’t be afraid to be specific about what you are looking for in a partner. Share your favorite song or a proud moment in your life. Give your potential date an opportunity to see a little of the real you.
Try to avoid clichés. This falls in line with the general profile. You aren’t trying to be the person you think the love of your life wants. Be you and you are much more likely to find that special someone who gets you. Take the time to proofread your profile and your responses. You don’t want a potential date to get hung-up on a grammatical mistake and overlook an important detail about you.
Finding Your Sapiosexual
A sapiosexual is a bit of a trendy sexual orientation that you might see on online dating accounts. It is simply a way a person identifies themselves as someone who prioritizes intelligence in a potential partner above other attributes and qualities. People that identify as sapiosexuals desire a partner that provides intellectually stimulating conversations and willing to have heated debates over real issues. Here are a couple of signs that you may be attracted to a sapiosexual or are one yourself.
- You didn’t start dating right away. Many people who value intelligence want to get to know an individual before they start anything serious. This is because they slowly fall in love with your mind instead of being immediately attracted to your looks.
- You tend to have deeper conversations, and they seem to value different aspects of your intelligence. Many relationships between or with sapiosexuals are rife with witty banter and deep conversations. If you are dating such an individual, you might find yourself up during the wee hours of the night deep in debate over interesting topics. Book smarts isn’t all they are attracted to. Sapiosexuals also admire individuals who display an emotional maturity.
- They respect humility and show it themselves. Although it would seem that these types of people would be snooty and egotistical, they usually are not. They would rather you show them your smarts rather than a list of your latest accomplishments.
- Small talk is practically nonexistent. If you find yourself dating a sapiosexual, you might have noticed that they struggle with small talk. Most individuals who put a high value on intelligence want to dig deep and have engaging conversations. They may even naturally choose silence over exchanging seemingly meaningless pleasantries.
- Your texts are full of cleverness and wit. Do you and your partner text in full sentences with few to no grammatical errors? This could be a sign. Intelligent communication is highly valued by these individuals. They find intelligence highly attractive whether in conversation or over texts.
- Your partner is especially attracted to your brain. Sapiosexual individuals love it when their partners keep things mentally interesting. This doesn’t mean you plan mind games. They want to have real conversations and truly value your opinion on things, especially if those opinions lead to an enthralling conversation.
Online dating can seem intimidating and frustrating. Fortunately, the pool of potential mates is so much bigger when you consider how wide and far it reaches—throughout the entire world. Don’t give up hope. There are definitely partners out there that are driven by intellect and personality above all. Don’t be afraid to reveal your true self. Your special someone just might be out there looking for you!